It’s Saturday Night
Time for Some More Genealogy Fun
A) Genea-Blogger Linda Stufflebean noted that December 8th is “Pretend You Are a Time Traveler Day.” Today’s challenge is: Where would you go? Would you choose a person, place or event in the past or travel into the future? Would you remain an observer or would you actively participate?” Linda suggested this challenge.
If I could time travel, where would I go? Well the obvious answer to me is to a place and time to help me with a genealogy brick wall. Thus, my first choice would be to Garrard County Kentucky on 12 September 1799. This is when my 4th great grandfather, James Crawford married Sally Duggins.
By being present at the time of their marriage, I would be able to ask them quite a few questions.
- Who are your parents?
- Are your parents still living? If so, where are they living? If not, when and where did they die?
- How and when did you travel to Garrard County, Kentucky?
- How did you meet?
- Where were you living prior to coming to Garrard County?
- What can you tell me about the history of your family? Do you know when your family arrived in the colonies? Do you know where they arrived? Do you know why they traveled to the colonies?
- Where were you living during the revolutionary war?
- Did you help the fight for independence? Why or why not?
- James Sellers witnessed the marriage bond. Why did you ask him to support your marriage in this way?
- Who are your siblings? Where are they living? Who have they married?
- Where will you be living after your marriage?
- Why did you move to Kentucky?
Questions for Sally:
- How did you meet Alexander Duggins?
- Where were you living when your sons were born?
- Where were you living when Alexander died?
- How did you learn of Alexander’s death?
- Who was appointed guardian of your sons?
- Did you and Alexander have any children besides Henry and William?
- Did any of Alexander’s family travel to Kentucky with you? If so, who?
Questions for James:
- Are you related to James Crawford who married Martha Knight? If so, how?
- Are you related to James Crawford who married Rebecca Anderson? If so, how?
- Are you related to George Douglass?
- Are you related to the SELLERS family (Nathaniel and his sons)
- Are you related to the DOOLEY family? (Moses and sons)
- Do you have a previous marriage?
- What have you been doing since turning 21?
I’m sure there are many many more questions to ask this couple. While records my reveal answers to many of these questions, it is a very slow process locating such records.
Thank you Randy and Linda for this though provoking activity!