Do use notes to help create a narrative report for individuals in your tree? While I’ve seen another researcher talk about his use of this feature, I have to admit that I haven’t taken advantage of the ability to create and incorporate notes into a narrative report.
Having recently corresponded with a DNA match who is the granddaughter of Juanita Mentzer, a first cousin twice removed, I decided to review what information I have on this cousin and experiment with the notes feature. While I don’t excel at ‘narrative’ writing, I did use the notes feature to incorporate additional information from the sources, including some of the obituaries of her siblings.
“A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Mentzer at their home near Yates Center, on May 20, 1923. All well.”“Local News,” Woodson County Journal (Yates Center, Kansas), 31 May 1923, page 3; digital image, Newspapers.com (www.newspapers.com : viewed online 22 June 2022).
She lived in Center Township, Woodson, Kansas, United States in 1925.10 Juanita Mentzer was listed as Jennett Mentzer, a three year old female in the household of E. E. Mentzer on the 1925 Kansas Census.
She lived in Center Township, Woodson, Kansas, United States on 4 Apr 1930.11 Juanita W. Mentzer was listed as a 6 year old daughter in the household of Ernest E. Mentzer. According to the census, Juanita was born in Kansas.
In 1939, Juanita was educated at Yates Center High School in Yates Center, Woodson, Kansas, United States.12
She lived in Center Township, Woodson, Kansas, United States in 1940.13 Juanita Mentzer was listed as a 16 year old daughter in the household of Earnest and Edith Mentzer.
She lived in Wichita, Sedgwick, Kansas, United States on 26 Apr 1949.14 On 2 Sep 1949, Juanita graduated from at Wesley Nursing School in Wichita, Sedgwick, Kansas, United States.2,15
Juanita Winnifred Mentzer and Charles Baldwin obtained a marriage license in Oct 1951 in Allen County, Kansas.20 The Iola Register reported the issuance of a marriage license to Charles F. Baldwin, 23 of West Stockbridge, Massachusetts and Juanita W. Mentzer, 27 of Yates Center
“Charles F Baldwin Married in Kansas“Charles F Baldwin married in Kansas,” The Berkshire County Eagle (Pittsfield, Massachusetts), 24 September 1952, Page 10; digital image, Newspapers.com (www.newspapers.com : viewed online 9 December 2020).
West Stockbridge — Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Mentzer of Yates Center, Kan, have announced the marriage of their daughter, Juanita to Charles F. Baldwin of Tulsa, Okla., son of Mr. and Mrs. Earl M. Baldwin of West Stockbridge.”
Juanita and her husband were divorced in 1987 in Middlesex, Connecticut, United States.24
She lived in Connecticut, United States in 1988.18 The obituary of Donald D. Mentzer of Reno, Nevada identifies his living siblings.
“Donald Dumond Mentzer, to, died Thursday at Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center.“Donald D. Mentzer,” Reno Gazette-Journal (Reno, Nevada), 19 February 1988, page 28; digital image, Newspapers.com (www.newspapers.com : viewed online 26 January 2020).
A native of Yates center, Kan., he was born March 6, 1928 and had been a Reno resident for the past 22 years, coming from Salt Lake City.
Mentzer was owner of Mentzer Detroit Diesels and had been an Army veteran.
His father, E. E., died in 1964, mother, Edith, in 1961, brother Edward in 1987. A sister and two brothers also preceded him in death.
Surviving are his widow, Nadine, sons, Alan, Gary, Lynn, daughter, Beverly Ballard, and a brother, Keith, all of Reno; brothers, Tye of Iowa, Austina and Burdette both of Kansas and Norryce of Washington; sister Juanita Baldwin of Connecticut; and six grandchildren.”
Juanita lived in Connecticut, United States in 1997.19 The obituary of Austin Mentzer of Ensign, Kansas identifies his living siblings.
“Mentzer, Austin M., 81, retired farmer and stockman, died Friday, June 13, 1997. Service 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Ensign Methodist Church.“Ensign,” The Wichita Eagle (Wichita, Kansas), 16 June 1997, page 10; digital image, Newspapers.com (www.newspapers.com : viewed online 12 March 2022).
Survivors: wife, Vanita; son, Richard, daughter, Cynthia Hamilton, both of Ensign; brothers, e. tye of Newton, Keith of Reno, Nev., Burdette of Yates Center, Norryce Wenachee, Wash.; sister, Juanita Baldwin of Higgman, Conn.; five grandchildren; four great-grandchildren. Memorials have been established with Ensign United Methodist Church and Hospital of the Prairie. Swaim Funeral Home, Dodge City.”
She died on 5 Apr 2009 at the age of 85 in Middlesex, Connecticut, United States.2,5–8 She was buried at Yates Center Cemetery in Yates Center, Woodson County, Kansas.2,8 Her obituary in the Hartford Courant chronicles her life.
Juanita “Jo” (Mentzer) Baldwin, 85, formerly of High Meadow Place, Haddam, passed away Sunday (April 5, 2009) at Middlesex Health Care Center. She was born on May 20, 1923 In Yates Center, KS, the daughter of the late Ernest and Edith (Dumond) Mentzer. Juanita was a Registered Nurse, who worked at many area health care facilities. She was a member of participated in the choir of the First Congregational Church of Haddam. She is survived by her four daughters, E. Ann Baldwin and Robert Ponko, Jr. of Higganum, Edith Amelia Baldwin and Paul Maywood of Haddam, J. Beth Baldwin and Philip Delegan of Middletown, and Charlene F. Baldwin and Bradley West of Phoenix, AZ; three grandchildren; Case and Ashley Crabb, and Chelsey Mia Baldwin-West and a beloved and extended family throughout the United States. Juanita’s family would like to express their gratitude to all those in the community for their loving care and support. Jo will always be remembered for her gentle and loving spirit.“Baldwin, Juanita “Jo” M,” Hartford Courant (Hartford, Connecticut), 8 April 2009, Page C07; digital image, Newspapers.com (www.newspapers.com : viewed online 24 January 2020).
Campbell Funeral Home of Yates Center, KS, has care of the funeral services and burial in Yates Center, KS. A memorial service to honor and celebrate her life will be held at a later date at the First Congregational Church of Haddam, 905 Saybrook Rd., Haddam, CT 06438, Middlesex Health Care Center, Resident Fund, 100 Randolph Rd., Middletown, CT 06457 or Woodson County Foundation Fund, PO Box 160 Yates Center, KS 66783.
1. 1930 U.S. Census, Woodson County, Kansas, population Schedule, [CivilDivision], [ED], [PageID] Image [Image] of [ImageTotal], [HouseholdID], [Person]; digital iamge, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com : [AccessType] [AccessDate]); NARA T626. [FileNumber]
2. Find a Grave, database and images, Find a Grave (www.findagrave.com : viewed online May 2018), memorial for Juanita Jo Mentzer Baldwin (1923-2009), Find a Grave Memorial no. #35859208, created by RisingSun, citing Yates Center Cemetery, Yates Center, Woodson County, Kansas; accompanying photograph by RisingSun, Juanita Jo Mentzer Baldwin.
4. Voter Registration Lists Public Record Filings, Historical Residential Records and other Household Database Listings, “U.S. Public Records Index, 1950-1993, Volume 2,” index, Ancestry, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed online May 2018), Juanita M Baldwin.
6. “U.S. Obituary Collection, 1930-Current,” database online, http://www.oregonlive.com/obituaries, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com : viewed online May 2018), Juanita Baldwin.
10. 1925 Kansas census, Woodson County Kansas, State Census, Center Township, Woodson County, Kansas, page 5 Image [Image] of [ImageTotal], household 37, E. E. Mentzer; digital image, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com : viewed online April 2017)
11. 1930 U.S. Census, Woodson County, Kansas, population Schedule, Center Township, Woodson County, Kansas, ED 2, sheet 1B Image [Image] of [ImageTotal], household 12, Earnest E Mentzer; digital iamge, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com : viewed online April 2017); NARA T626
13. 1940, Woodson County Kansas, population, Center Township, Woodson, Kansas, enumeration district (ED) ED 104-2, Sheet 3A, household 48, Earnest O Mentzer; digital image, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed online April 2017); National Archives adn Recods Administration, 1940.T627.
23. “Charles F Baldwin married in Kansas,” The Berkshire County Eagle (Pittsfield, Massachusetts), 24 September 1952, Page 10; digital image, Newspapers.com (www.newspapers.com : viewed online 9 December 2020).
24. “Connecticut, Divorce Index, 1968-1997,” Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com : viewed online (26 January 2020), Juanita Baldwin; Connecticut Divorce Index, 1968-1997. Connecticut Department of Public Health.