In the notebook of BRILES items shared with me by Mildred Briles Barby is a handwritten ‘genealogy’ of the Rush Family. Mildred and I are double cousins. My 2nd great grandfather, Alexander Briles was the uncle to her great grandfather, Branson Briles. Our common BRILES ancestor is John Briles, son on Conrad Broyles (Briles) of Randolph County, North Carolina.
Since Alexander Briles married Sarah Rush and Branson Briles married Dorcas Rush, we are also cousins on the RUSH line. Dorcas and Sarah Rush were sisters. Our common RUSH ancestor was Noah Rush who married Sarah Clark.
Below is a transcription of that handwritten document.
as written by Mildred Briles Barby
Conrad Briles married Margaret Rush
Crawford Rush born __ maybe (1750) married Mary Briles born (1752) daughter of Conrad Briles.
Son Benjamin Rush born Culpeper Co, Va April 10, 1752
About 1754 Crawford & Mary Briles Rush moved to Randolph Co., N.C. and settled on the upper waters of the mountain fork of Caraway Creek.
Benjamin Rush married Elizabeth Vickory Jan. 12, 1772. She was the daughter of Marmaduke & Elizabeth Vickory of Randolph Co. Dorcus V. was born N. 25, 1755. They settled on the Uwharrie River, Randolph Co., N.C. He was a witness and one of the executors of the will of Conrad Briles.
Benjamin made his will July 23, 1819, probated in Randolph Co., Nov. 1819
Children of Ben & Elizabeth V. Rush
- Mary Rush born Feb 13, 1773 married Isaac Wright
- Elizabeth Rush Feb. 3, 1775
- Noah Rush Jan 9, 1778 died May 6 187[?] married to Sarah Clark Rush Noah died age 92 yr
- Azel Rush Aug 4, 1780 died Mar 3, 1859 Married 1. Elizabeth Beckerdite Dec. 8, 1803 2. Mary White Mar. 28, 1819 3. Sarah Young May 16, 1830
- MIchael Rush. born Nov 28, 1782 died April 6, 1855, married Hannah Commons June 1808 Had son Washington Rush who married Lydia COmmons Pearce, widow of Lensy Pearce
- Benjamin Rush born Dec. 4, 1784
- Reuben Rush born Oct 16, 1788 died Aug 2, 1817 Married Dicy _
- Zebedee Rush born Dec. 16, 1790 died Dec. 3, 1872 — married Frances Fuller
- Dorcus Rush born Sept. 24, 1793 married Joseph Goss, June 1814
- Nineveh Rush born Apr. 4, 1796 married 1. _ Miller 2. Isabel Hoover 3. Rebecca Ridge Prevo — a widow
- Bathsheba Rush born Aug 8, 1798, married _ Andrews
2nd child of Crawford & Mary Briles Rush
Isaac Rush died 1799
married and had children
- Mary Rush married _ Kindrak
- daughter married John Fox
- William Rush
3rd child of Crawford and Mary Briles rush
Rebecca born Oct. 12, 1760 married Benjamin Millikan and the settled on the upper waters of Back Creek, Randolph Co. N.C.
- Jane Millikan born April 16, 1777
- Mary Millikan born Nov 13, 1779 married James Wade
- Tamar Milliken born May 8, 1782
- William Millikan born Aug 7, 1784
- Absalom Millikan born Aug 14, 1786
- Samuel Millikan born Jan. 28, 1789 married _ Clark
- Jonathan Millikan born June 12, 1791
- Benjamin Millikan born Jan. 1, 1795 married Sarah Williams
- Abigail Millikan born Nov. 14 __
10 Andrew Millikan born May 27 ????
- Rebecca Millikan ? Married
Generations to Mildred Barby
1st Conrad Briles & Margaret Rush
2nd Gen – Crawford and Mary “Briles” Rush married 1750
3rd Gen – Benjamin and Elizabeth “Vicory” Rush married 1772
4th Gen – Noah and Sarah “Clark” Rush – married ?
5th Gen – Branson and Dorcus “Rush” Briles married 1842
6th Gen – Nathan Briles and Susan “Hatler” Briles married 188[?]
7th Gen – Lon and Elsie “Miller” Briles married 1907
8th Gen – Fred and Mildred “Briles” Barby married 1976
Children of Noah and Sarah “Clark” rush
were 1. Sarah born 1816 – married Alexander Briles Sarah & Dorcus 7 yrs difference in age
2 Dorcus Rush born 1823 married Branson Briles
Alexander is Branson’s uncle. His dad, Noah Sr. was Alexander older brother