Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:
It’s Saturday Night again –
Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!
Here is your assignment, should you decide to accept it (you ARE reading this, so I assume that you really want to play along – cue the Mission Impossible music!):
1) What was your genealogy-related highlight of this past week (or two weeks)?
While I’d love to write about my highlight of the past few weeks, I don’t think I can at this time.
SO — another highlight of my past week, has to do more with social media than genealogy.
I received an INVITE CODE to Blue Sky. Yes, this is another potential replacement to Twitter. While I’ve only had an account for a little over a day, I think Blue Sky looks promising.
So, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the various Twitter like platforms.
- Now called ‘X’
- Rumored that it will start charging
- Users report increased bullying
- Many genealogists have left
- Scientists and reporters still seem to be present
- Posting from Feedly goes to drafts
- Twitter broke ability for WordPress blog to share posts on Twitter
- Confusing — at least to me
- Logged in on my phone but don’t know where to go to login on computer
- Posting from Feedly WORKS
- Some genealogists here
- Some users have multiple accounts — likely on multiple servers
- Scientists and reporters may be here
- WordPress blog automatically shares post on Mastodon
- Many genealogists moved here
- Some scientists and reporters are here
- CAN’T search for anything covid related
- Can only share ONE blog post from Feedly without closing and re-opening Feedly
- Cannot automatically share posts from WordPress blog to Threads
- Can automatically share posts from WordPress blog to Tumblr
- Scientists and reporters that I follow are not on this platform
- Few genealogists here
- Cannot share from Feedly to Tumblr
- Requires invite code or placement on wait list
- Looks like and behaves like Twitter
- Currently can’t share from Feedly to BlueSky
- Currently can’t share from WordPress to BlueSky
- Few genealogists here
- Scientists and Reporters hers
- Can search for covid information
So, what is my preference:
- BlueSky — this is promising and I’m hoping that the ability to share from Feedly and WordPress will be added
- Someone purchasing Twitter and restoring the functionality and ability to report / block bullies
- Mastodon — This would be promising IF it wasn’t so confusing to use.
- Threads — For genealogy, this might work — BUT — I use this platform to stay on top of public health news including COVID. Since searching for COVID related topics is blocked, I doubt that I will fully embrace this platform — even if they fix the sharing issues.